Synagogues in Hungary

We would like to upload as many Hungarian synagogues as possible. When searching Hungarian synagogues, some difficulties must be faced: the countryside lost the Jewish communities in WW2; in 1920 Hungary lost 72% of its land, so many cities and their synagogues are today outside of the Hungarian borders.
We have listed the towns in alphabetical order and have marked if they are outside of Hungary today.

BODROGKERESZTÚR

The synagogue in Bodrogkeresztur, Hungary. It is shown in the video from 01:13.

The building of the synagogue in Bodrogkeresztur, Hungary, today is the tourist information center of the town. In the early 18th century Hassidic Jews settled here, who became wine sellers, taking over the region’s local traditions.
The last religious leader of the Jewish community was Reb Saje Steiner (1851 – 1925), who is considered to have been one of the Hungarian wonder rabbis.

GYŐR

The synagogue in Gyor, Hungary. Under reconstruction in 2002.

KISKŐRÖS

The synagogue in Kiskoros, Hungary.

Find out more about the Jewish community and the fate of the synagogue of Kiskőrös through the eyes of József Faludi. This is a Centropa film from 2006 with English subtitles.

KISKUNHALAS

The synagogue in Kiskunhalas, Hungary.

MÁD

The synagogue in Mad, Hungary.

The following pictures are from epiteszforum.hu, a website of architectural projects in Hungary. The synagogue in Mad, located in Tokaj wine region of Hungary, is considered to be one of the oldest synagogues in Hungary. It was constructed in 1785 in late Baroque style, without known designer names, but presenting a Polish- Lithuanian influence. The synagogue is located in the center of Mad, near the catholic and protestant churches, symbolizing very well the harmonious living of the different ethnic and religious groups next to each other. The few survivors of the Holocaust returned to Mad, but in the ’50s the members of the community left the town or died out and the synagogue stands empty ever since.
The reconstruction of the synagogue lead by Ágnes Benkő and Péter Wirth received Europa Nostra award in 2004. Today the synagogue of Mad is home to concerts, conferences and other events.




MAROSVÁSÁRHELY (today: Targu Mures, in Romania)

Picture slideshow with the best known buildings of Marosvasarhely.

According to written documents during the rule of prince Mihaly Apafi in 1689 many Jewish families settled in the surroundings of Marosvasarhely in Naznanfalva and Marosszentkiraly. By the 1740′s their community had about 200 members, becoming the second largest in Transylvania after Gyulafehervar’s.
Large numbers of Jewish families arrived to Marosvasarhely from the 1850′s, according to the community’s archives there were 2755 in 1910, and 3246 after the first World War. In 1941 the census shows 5693 Jews in the town, which is 12% of the population. These people were mostly taken to concentration camps, forced work camps, so after the second World War their number went down to about 1500. After the state of Israel came to existence many left Romania for Israel, so the community had 820 members in 1947 and today it has about 150.

The synagogue on Iskola utca (today: strada Aurel Filimon) in Marosvasarhely (today Targu Mures, Romania). It was constructed between 1899-1900 by the Status Quo community. Architect: Jacob Gartner from Vienna, constructor: Pál Sóos, style: eclectic.

The story of Juci Scheiner – Love on a Motorcycle with English subtitles, a Centropa film. Learn about the fate of Hungarian Jews and the synagogue in Marosvasarhely.

October 9 is the Holocaust remembrance day in Romania. This was the day in 1941 when the deportation of Jews started there.
In the movie you can see people gathered at the Holocaust memorial on Lajos Kossuth street to commemorate the 7549 victims of Marosvasarhely. Between 1940 – 1944 from Marosvasarhely and surroundings around 10000 Jews were deported.

Jewishvasarhely – blog

MISKOLC

The synagogue in Miskolc, Hungary.

PECS




SZABADKA

The synagogue in Szabadka (today Subotica, in Serbia).

SZEGED

The synagogue in Szeged, southern Hungary.

The Szeged synagogue was designed by Lipot Baumhorn in 1897 and was built between 1900-1902. It is 48,5 meters high and as a child of the very short, but prosperous Hungarian Art Noveau period it reflects the Moorish, Byzantine, Baroque, Gothic and Romanesque architectural heritage. The inner dome is the symbol of the world. The glass dome and the windows are work of Miksa Roth and present the moments of the most important Jewish holidays and religious ceremonies.
The Szeged synagogue is still active and besides the services it is home to concerts and festivals as well.

Hungarian synagogues, synagogues in Hungary, abandoned synagogues, synagogues without Jews, Hungarian synagogues outside today’s Hungary, reconstructed Hungarian synagogues, Hungarian Jewish roots, Hassids in Hungary, orthodox Hungarian Jews, neolog Hungarian Judaism, wonder rabbis of Hungary…

Comments are closed.