On January 17th in the Hungarian National Museum the Raoul Wallenberg Memorial Year was launched. Hosts of the event: minister for Foreign Affairs in Hungary Janos Martonyi and in Sweden Carl Bildt, guest of honor Yoseph Peled minister from Israel.
Calendar of events:
– January 17: ‘To me there’s no other choice – Raoul Wallenberg 1912 – 2012’ Swedish photo exhibition opened (this is the day he was last seen on in Hungary)
– January 27: UN Holocaust remembrance day
– 14 February: Seminar on Raoul Wallenberg´s activities in Budapest. Seminar organised by Living History Forum and City of Lidingö, Stockholm
– April 15th: Wallenberg commemorative concert in front of the House of Terror Museum (www.terrorhaza.hu). March of the Living, a march along the streets of Budapest down to the Danube embankment to remember the victims of the Holocaust (www.eletmenete.hu).
– April 16th: Hungarian Holocaust remembrance day
– April 17th: 25th Auschwitz – Birkenau Pilgrimage
– May 10th: Wallenberg stamp issued by the Hungarian and the Swedish Post
– May 15th: research conference: “Can we say no?” in the Holocaust Documentation Center (www.hdke.hu).
– June 16th: planned conference on democracy and human rights
– August 4th (Wallenberg’s birthday): “Righteous among the Nation´s award” meeting for Hungarian citizens who have been presented the “Righteous among the Nations” award in the Holocaust Memorial Center
– August 5th: memorial evening in the Dohany street synagogue
– September 9th: Raoul Wallenberg 100 – evening
– November 18th: charity concert in the Dohany street synagogue
For more details and events connected to the Raoul Wallenberg 2012 memorial year please visit : http://www.sweden.gov.se/sb/d/15418